Pros and Cons of Switching from Inboard or Sterndrive to Outboard
Embarking on a marine adventure along the breathtaking waters of British Columbia demands a seaworthy vessel and a reliable companion. A suitable propulsion system on your boat is pivotal in its performance, efficiency, and versatility.
One question among Canadian boaters is whether changing an inboard boat to an outboard configuration is possible.
If yes, how do you do it, and what are the benefits of repowering with available outboard motors for sale in BC?
Let’s look at the details of this conversion process and explore the possibilities it unveils.
Converting the Inboard or Sterndrive Boat to an Outboard – Is It Possible? How?
The short answer is yes, however, with a caution.
Changing the vessel from an inboard application to an outboard involves meticulous steps and considerations to ensure the boat's structural integrity. It starts with a thorough examination of the transom. Experts recommend visiting an experienced boat dealer in BC, Canada, who can help you understand the process and its outcome in a better way than just searching online.
You’ll need to modify the vessel to accommodate the outboard engine. It includes creating a space for glassing an I/O plug in the transom and mounting a hydraulic steering system. The old jet pump or inboard pump steering will not work. Hence, it will help if you replace it. Additionally, the service team has to adjust the bunk brackets of the boat trailer.
Once these steps are done, you can ask the dealership to show the options of the Mercury outboard motors for sale in BC. Once you finalize the model, marine professionals will help you mount it on the transom. The process seems straightforward. However, it requires good investment. If not done correctly, the boat's performance might worsen.
Pros and Cons of Inboard Engines
Is it worth converting from an inboard configuration to an outboard? What are the benefits of inboard motors in BC? Do they possess any drawbacks? Let’s consider the advantages and disadvantages of owning an inboard boat engine.
1. Power: Inboards often boast more power than outboards of similar size, making them ideal for water sports like water skiing, wakeboarding, and tubing.
2. Shallow Water Operation: Jet or inboard motorboats can perform better than outboards in shallow water conditions.
3. Sound: Many boaters feel that the sound of inboard boats is better than outboards, as they generally consist of larger engines like a V6 or V8.
1. Less Efficiency: Inboards are generally less fuel-efficient than outboards. You might have higher operating costs in a more extended period.
2. Maintenance Challenges: Performing maintenance on inboard motors is more complex and pricier. On the other hand, outboard marine engine repair in BC is simple, fast, and less costly with the help of the right boat mechanic.
3. Cleaning Hassles: Inboards require more meticulous cleaning, especially after use in a saltwater environment. It adds complexity and costs to the engine service.
Cost to Repower Inboard to Outboard
The overall cost of repowering depends on several factors. The model of the inboard motor, your usage, the vessel type and specification, the outboard motor you select to upgrade, and the marine services you book in BC. However, if you still want to keep an approx. estimate for switching from inboard to outboard, the average cost is between $25,000 and $40,000. A professional can help you understand the exact amount after the boat inspection.
Is the Decision Worth It?
Installing the outboard at the transom adds the weight at the stern and can impact handling. You might need to add weight to the bow to counterbalance and eliminate any possible issues. While switching to outboard unlocks new possibilities, enhances maneuverability, optimizes performance, and simplifies maintenance, it is crucial that you consider how the conversion affects your boat’s dynamics.
Converting your inboard boat to an outboard configuration is a journey filled with benefits and considerations. Consult with seasoned professionals, visit a reputed boat dealership, and understand the specifications and requirements for the conversion. Choosing between inboard and outboard motors is vital to having an exhilarating boating experience on the West Coast.
Suppose you are looking for the right marine professional in BC for repowering, motors like inboard, outboard, or sterndrive engines, boat propellers, marine electronics, boat services or storage options. In that case, connect with Alberni Power & Marine. Our experienced, trained team of marine experts is ready to help and provide you with the best possible solution.