Mercury 115 HP FourStroke vs 115 Pro XS – What is the Difference?
Which is the best Mercury outboard in the 115 HP category? Should you go for 115 FourStroke or the 115 Pro XS? Both these engines are reliable, robust, and efficient. Hence, it becomes difficult for beginners and avid boaters to figure out the suitable motor. We have created this post and tried to make it a little easier.
We will walk you through the features and advantages of each Mercury 115 4 Stroke for sale in BC and explain which can better suit your boating or fishing needs.
Mercury 115 HP FourStroke
The world-famous marine engineering team of Mercury Marine has designed and packed an incredible series of lightweight, fuel-efficient, and durable series of boat engines. The 115 HP FourStroke is one from the lot. This outboard weighs only around 359 Pounds (162.84 Kilograms). It is almost 20 pounds lighter than its nearest competitor.
Among many, below are some notable characteristics of the Mercury FourStroke 115 HP engine:
- Quiet Operation – Compared to Yamaha F115B, the 115 HP FourStroke from Mercury is more silent. It is 25% quieter in idle mode, creates 15% less noise at cruising speed, and is almost 50% quieter at wide-open throttle than its Yamaha counterpart (Tests conducted by Mercury Marine Lab).
- Powerful - The 2.1L displacement with 8-valve inline-four single overhead cam helps generate low-end torque and 5000-to-6000 RPM at full throttle to pop your vessel up on the plane faster.
- Efficient – The 115 HP Mercury FourStroke has meticulously crafted crankshaft oil dams and bearings to minimize resistance and leave more power to run the engine efficiently. The 2.07:1 standard gearcase ratio provides improved hydrodynamic efficiency.
- Counter Rotation - For the first time, you even get an option of left-hand rotation in the 115 HP Mercury outboard motors. When using two of these 115HP FourStroke engines, you get higher horsepower, maneuverability, and safe return with less worry to enjoy offshore boating and fishing.
Mercury 115 Pro XS
Based on the famous & proven design of Mercury Marine’s 115 HP FourStroke engine, the 115 HP Pro XS achieves notably better performance than any other outboard in the category. It has a 2.1L displacement, which is the most significant in its class. Still, a new Mercury 115 Pro XS for sale is almost 4% lighter than its nearest competitor.
A few of the exclusive features of the 115 Pro XS outboard are:
- Rigorously Tested – This engine has passed all the standard testing parameters to tackle highly humid situations and rigours of saltwater conditions to ensure reliability continuously during long-running hours.
- Fastest Top Speed – Up to 3 mph (4.8 kph) faster than its nearest competitor, the 115 Pro XS has a high RPM range that boosts the performance of an already-powerful engine.
- Quicker Acceleration – The Mercury 115 HP Pro XS is more than 1 second faster than the company’s standard 115 HP FourStroke motors. The primary reason behind this is its ability to run lower-pitch propellers. It enables the boat to move on the plane quicker by reducing 1 to 2 seconds acceleration time for going 0-20 mph (0-32.18 kph).
- Idle Charge – In the modern era of advanced marine electronics and gadgets where more power stays in demand, the 115 Pro XS gets 48% more battery charging at idle speed. It allows anglers to run the boat on the water for a longer time.
Apart from the aforementioned features, this powerful FourStroke engine delivers unparalleled advantages. It covers but is not limited to a compelling new look, superior corrosion protection, ease of maintenance, and a three-year standard warranty.
The Mercury 115 HP FourStroke can be a good choice for aluminum tiller, bass, deck, inshore fishing, runabout open bow, fish & ski boats, and rigid-hull inflatable boats.
The Mercury PRO XS 115 HP outboard is ideal for fibreglass vessels and aluminum boats in 17’-18’ size ranges. If you have an aluminum multispecies fishing boat of the same size, you can use this engine without any hassle.
As one of the reputed outboard and boat dealers in BC, Alberni Power and Marine has a vast range of new and used Mercury outboard motors. Our team will help you throughout your buying journey, from selecting & purchasing the right marine equipment to the proper insurance, financing and maintenance schedules.
Please request a quote or contact us directly for your specific boat engine today!