A Comprehensive Checklist for Boat Winterization
The excellent summer season is coming to an end. We hope you enjoyed it to the fullest with your family and friends. But now is the time to prepare for the off-season and keep your vessel at a boat storage facility on Vancouver Island.
Winterization is crucial to protect your vessel from the harsh elements, prevent it from rusting, and ensure it is in top condition for the next fishing season. Here, we have gathered a comprehensive checklist for winterizing your boat.
Inspect and Clean the Vessel
1. Visual Check: Look at your boat thoroughly, from bow to stern. Check for any visible signs of damage, wear, or corrosion. Closely inspect the hull, engine parts, bilge pump area, and marine electronic parts & accessories.
2. Cleaning: Clean the interior and exterior of your vessel. Remove dirt, debris, and other items that can attract pests during winter storage. Use water to flush external components. Pressure wash the hull.
Boat Pressure Washing
Take Care of the Engine and Fuel System
1. Fuel Stabilization: A boat winterization services provider can help you. Adding a fuel stabilizer to the gas tank, the technician will run the engine for a few minutes and ensure the stabilized fuel reaches the engine’s parts. Such a process prevents fuel braking down and reduces engine issues.
2. Replace Filter & Oil: Used engine oil contains contaminants, which can corrode the engine components over time. Hence, change the oil and filter before storing your boat.
3. Fogging: A boat mechanic in Port Alberni will assist in applying the fogging process on the engine to coat its internal parts. It will protect the components during the winter months.
Work on the Plumbing System
1. Bilge Pump: A malfunctioning pump that did not get proper attention during winterizing can lead to huge problems. To avoid substantial repair costs, clean the bilge pump area properly and ensure it works well before sending it to the boat storage in Vancouver Island, BC.
2. Water System: Use fresh water to flush down the hull, engine area, tanks, lines, bilge pump area, etc. Drain all the water from the plumbing systems. If possible, add non-toxic antifreeze. It will help to prevent any remaining water from freezing, which can result in damage to components.
Manage Marine Electronics
1. Maintain Battery: Turn off the boat’s battery master switch. Inspect the connections and terminals to check for any corrosion. Clean the battery and remove any dust or debris. Remove the battery and store it in a cool, dry place. Experts recommend taking the help of professionals available at a boat repair shop on Vancouver Island for uninstallation.
2. Remove Electronics: Ask the technician available at the dealership if any sensitive boat electronics need to be removed. Ensure all the electronic components are well-covered and stored at a safe, dry location, as the cold temperature can damage the parts or circuits.
Cover and Store
1. Detailing: Repair any scratches, cracks, etc. with gelcoat. Wax your vessel to protect the boat paint from issues due to temperature changes. Check the props to see if they are in good shape, and replace the propeller for boat if required.
2. Cover the Vessel: It will protect the boat from harmful elements like a sudden drop in temperature, dust, debris, etc. Make sure that there is proper ventilation to prevent mold and mildew.
3. Safety Gear: Keep all safety equipment, like life jackets, flares, fire extinguishers, first aid kits, etc., in a proper place.
4. Storage Partner: Visit the experienced, reputed boat dealership in BC, which provides winterization and boat storage services. When you choose indoor boat storage, you will not need a cover, though. The best way to identify the proper steps is to connect with your nearby marine professional service provider.
Connect with us if you want the ideal winterization and de-winterization services in cities like Port Alberni, Nanaimo, Victoria, Vancouver, or anywhere on Vancouver Island, BC. We have one of the largest boat showrooms in British Columbia and an expanded heated indoor boat storage with an overall 41,000 sq ft area. With facilities like heated floors, dehumidifiers, climate control, and more, we protect your vessel from any damage or negative impact during winter.
Properly shrink-wrapped boats can be stored outside, but it can not replace a heated & climate-controlled indoor boat storage.
Off-season is a good time to prepare for the spring. A trusted boat dealership with experienced technicians can help you make necessary repairs before storing the vessel during winter and keep it in good shape for the next season.
Suppose you are looking for top-quality boats for sale or outboard motors for sale in BC for the next fishing season. In that case, connect with Alberni Power & Marine today. Our staff will provide the proper quote for new purchases, upgrades, maintenance, and boat storage services, depending on your specific requirements.
Please do not hesitate to contact us.