Volvo Penta vs Mercury Mercruiser Sterndrive Engines: A comprehensive Comparison
Spring is already here, and you would want to prepare your boat for a fantastic season ahead. Power is one of the essential elements to consider when you are maintaining or upgrading your vessel. Mercury Marine and Volvo Penta are two of the most popular brands in the marine engine industry.
Both these companies have a considerable fanbase and are the first choice of boat owners for their specific requirements. But which company manufactures better sterndrives? What can you look for while buying a new or used sterndrive for sale in BC, Canada?
In this blog, we’ll share an in-depth analysis of the Mercury Mercruiser and Volvo Penta to allow you to make an informed decision.
Volvo Penta Vs Mercury Mercruiser
Since the introduction of the sterndrives in the boating world, the comparison between the companies never got old. To get a clear idea, let’s look at these engine manufacturers’ history, models, similarities, and differences.
In 1930, Johnson Motor Company introduced the first sterndrive engines. However, these motors required the boat manufacturers to redesign the vessels to be compatible with sterndrives. And it took almost thirty years for the engine manufacturing companies to bring modern sterndrive engines. Today, Mercury Marine and Volvo Penta are two leading providers of racing & recreational boat engines that generate exceptional power and deliver excellent performance.
Used and very reliable Volvo Penta Sterndrive
Mercury Marine produces a range of outboard motors for sale in British Columbia with different power ratings. While Volvo Penta mainly offers sterndrives, variable speed, IPS, and Genset engines. Mercury motors have higher horsepower and torque, translating into better acceleration and top speed. On the other hand, Volvo Penta engines are known for their reliability and fuel efficiency, which can be essential factors for long-distance cruising.
Used and very reliable Volvo Penta Outdrive
Mercury Mercruiser is known for its innovative features like joystick piloting, which makes maneuvering in tight spaces easier. They also offer a range of intelligent technologies that provide real-time diagnostics and alerts, making it easier to keep your engine running smoothly. On the other hand, Volvo Penta has developed unique technologies like the Forward Drive, which provides a versatile propulsion system that enhances boating experiences.
The Mercruiser Sterndrive as a complete package
Mercury builds a wide range of sterndrive, inboard, and tow sport boat motors that deliver the ultimate marine experience. The company offers four drive systems – reliable Alpha One, high-torque Bravo One, Bravo Two, and Bravo Three.
• Alpha One – It creates minimal drag resulting in a performance boost and better fuel economy.
• Bravo One – This Sterndrive delivers impressive speed and has extended-length torpedoes that reduce drag.
• Bravo Two – Suppose you have a large vessel or a heavy load to carry on the water. In that case, the Bravo Two engine offers a higher thrust even at lower speeds to make your job easy.
• Bravo Three – The dual counter-rotating propellers of this engine provide agile handling with optimized performance.
Mercury Mercruiser is one of the most reliable engines in the industry. You can count on their fuel efficiency and output in different water conditions. At Alberni Power & Marine, we have an array of new and used sterndrives, engine parts like outdrives & transom assemblies and accessories. You can connect with our marine experts to select the right option.
Mercruiser Outdrives are available as Alpha One, Bravo One, Two or Three Drives
The brand leverages the auto industry as it primarily marinizes the auto engines. The company continually improves the marine technology to optimize the fuel delivery, torque, engine performance, and reliability.
The EVC (Electronic Vessel Control) system enables better cruise control, easy joystick driving, docking, and other features. It allows for smooth, hassle-free maneuvering and a soothing experience on the water.
The modern sterndrives from Volvo Penta are even more lightweight, fuel-efficient, and performance-tuned. Aquatic sterndrives and Forward Drive motors are the famous models from the company.
• Aquatic – This one of the first modern sterndrive motors introduced by Volvo Penta has sensational high-end power, robust, low-end torque, and excellent mid-range response.
• Forward Drive – The 180-degree rotated design of this engine makes the counter-rotating propellers pull your vessel through the water. It means you will go faster without compromising maneuverability. Besides, it provides a safe passage to the rider as the exhaust is pushed out underneath the hull, not on the rider’s face.
If you are looking for fishing boat dealers in Canada who also deal in Volvo Penta engines, you can connect with our RPM Group Partner, Rods Power & Marine in Tofino, BC, Canada.
Benefits of Sterndrive Motors
You can get many reasons to buy sterndrive motors. A few are:
1.Lightweight design that makes them competitive against outboards
2. Improved fuel efficiency allows you to go farther with less fuel
3. Lower emission rate and reduced carbo footprints make them eco-friendly
4. Offers a bigger swim platform to boater
How to Buy the Right Sterndrive Engine?
You can consider several factors while purchasing a sterndrive for your boat.
1. Vessel Size – Different dimensions of the boats require different engine sizes & horsepower.
2. Passengers – Consider how many people will ride on your vessel. It affects the HP necessity.
3. Boat Use - Clarifying your marine requirements will help you choose the most suitable power.
4. Fuel Efficiency – Essential factor to consider if you regularly go on the water in your boat.
5. Maintenance – Do you have a proper service schedule to save money & keep the engine in good shape?
6. Warranty – A good warranty can provide financial security & allow worry-free trips.
Mercury Mercruiser and Volvo Penta offer high-quality marine engines in the industry. Choosing between the two comes down to your personal needs and preferences. Ultimately, it’s essential to research and consult with a knowledgeable marine professional to find the right engine for your vessel.
Suppose you are searching for a boat repair shop or Mercury outboard motors for sale on Vancouver Island. In that case, you can call Alberni Power & Marine team to get the best possible assistance for sales & service.