How to Maintain Your Aluminum Boat Properly
Aluminum boats are an excellent choice for many anglers thanks to their durability, reliability, and ease of maintenance. Owning a vessel made with aluminum material offers you many benefits. Whether you want to enjoy fishing, cruising, or spending long weekends on the water with family & friends, different types of aluminum boats are available. However, like any other vessel, they require regular maintenance to keep them in good condition for extended periods, especially when you usually go in saltwater conditions.
We’ve tried to cover some valuable tips from marine experts to maintain your aluminum boat.
Let’s have a look.
1. Keep Your Vessel Dry
Many boaters think that boats are made for the marine environment. Hence, keeping them dry is optional. However, it’s not correct. When you do not keep your boat dry, it can create issues like mould, rusting, odour, and more. Remember that when the boat is made with different metals, like primary material aluminum and some copper or other metal, it can corrode in saltwater faster than pure aluminum or fibreglass boats. The corrosion rate depends on how sensitive the material is when you use it in salt water for a longer time.
The corrosion rate depends on how sensitive the material is when you use it in salt water for a longer time. Experts recommend to washing your aluminum vessel with fresh water after every saltwater use with the help of a pressure washer. It will help remove any salt built-ups and prevent galvanic corrosion.
• Drain the water completely from the vessel. Marine mechanics recommend keeping the outboard attached when you follow a proper drainage process by holding the vessel at an angle.
• Chances are there that debris, sand, and other particles can get in the way of drainage. Ensure you inspect the drainage process properly and remove any such obstacles immediately.
2. Clean Your Boat Thoroughly
Drying the vessel is not enough. Your high-quality outboards, bot hull, and other components need timely cleaning to operate appropriately. Regularly clean the vessel’s exterior using a mild boat soap or a mixture of water and vinegar. It will remove salt residue. It will also help prevent corrosion. Avoid using harsh chemicals that could damage the boat’s finish. We recommend using Captain Phab Aluminum Hull Cleaner, an all-in-one solution for brightening, polishing, and providing long-term protection to the aluminum parts.
3. Take Care of Fuel Tanks
Remember that even if your boat is not made with aluminum, it can have aluminum fuel tanks. They are one of the safest, without any doubt. However, sometimes leaks can occur. You can contact any boat repair services providers and ask them the reason for tank failures. Almost all of them will blame corrosion.
Follow the below tips for the longevity of aluminum fuel tanks:
• If you paint the tanks, apply them properly and thoroughly. You should regularly check & remove if there is any moisture under the paint.
• Try using stainless steel washers or adapters in the boat fuel system fittings to prevent moisture and galvanic corrosion.
• Drain water from all sides of the tank when you move your vessel out of the water. Keep the tank at least a quarter-inch above your boat hull for proper air circulation and out of the reach of bilge water.
• Use neoprene, Teflon, or any other high-density plastic for the tank’s support system.
4. Paint the Bottom
One of the beneficial ways to keep the rust & corrosion from the aluminum fishing boats in BC is to apply paint on the hull. You can take the help of your boat dealer in Canada to paint the vessel. They will ensure the application up to the water line, patching nicks and chips. Inspect the boat paint after every few outings. Touch up if you identify any scratches or dings.
5. Outboard & Trailer Maintenance
Don’t forget the boat trailer and the outboard. The trailer components, like brakes, springs, hubs, etc., require regular checks and maintenance recommended by the boat manufacturer. Pay attention to the outboard inspections and repairs. After each use, flush the boat motor with fresh water to remove salt buildup and prevent corrosion.
You can protect your vessel from the corrosive effects of saltwater and ensure it remains in excellent condition for years by following the tips mentioned above. Regularly & correctly maintained aluminum boats like the Pacific North West Editions of a Thunder Jet boat model empower you to explore the open waters in BC and indulge in exciting saltwater adventures – long term.
If you are searching for a boat dealer in BC, Canada or suitable boat engines for sale, connect with Alberni Power & Marine. Our team will help you gear up for the season and enjoy the endless possibilities that await you on your next boating & fishing trips!